Your First Consultation
When you attend your initial appointment with a Melbourne IVF fertility specialist they will confirm that your pre-pregnancy screening tests and a basic fertility assessment has been undertaken. If it hasn't been performed already, they will organise this for you.
Initial consultations can be face to face or online, depending on your Doctor and what works for you.
We can offer secure medical appointments by Zoom. We are here to talk to you, to provide medical advice and make plans for the future with you, all in the privacy and the safety of your own home.
As part of your initial consultation your fertility specialist will take a full medical history with special attention to fertility factors:
- menstrual history
- timing of intercourse
- any sexual issues and previous pregnancy history
Please bring a doctor’s referral from a GP (valid for 12 months) or specialist (valid for three months). This will also ensure you are eligible for Medicare rebates.
- Female & male pre-pregnancy screening tests
Depending on the level of testing already performed, your fertility specialist may order further pathology tests.
- rubella (German measles) immunity,
- chicken pox immunity,
- syphilis serology,
- full blood count,
- blood group and antibody status,
- hepatitis B and C,
- current pap smear and breast check (within last two years).
- hepatitis B,
- hepatitis C,
Pre-pregnancy screening for some genetic conditions such as cystic fibrosis is available and can be discussed with your specialist.
- Fertility assessments
A basic fertility assessment includes ovulation testing and a pelvic ultrasound, together with hormone measurements and other gynaecological investigations as required.
Your fertility specialist will also organise a more thorough advanced fertility assessment, particularly for women of advanced maternal age, or where previous surgical or medical conditions such as endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome is present. An advanced fertility assessment includes specialist blood tests to assess egg reserve, pelvic ultrasound for tubal patency, and if required fertility surgery.
A semen analysis will be organised for the male partner, and in some cases blood tests and a physical examination may also be performed.
- Treatment plan and change of success
You may need to attend a follow up appointment with your fertility specialist to discuss the results of your initial tests and explain in detail your recommended treatment plan.
Your fertility specialist will give you an indication of your chance of pregnancy with recommended fertility treatments. This could vary between 5% and 50%, depending on:
- Your age,
- Your partner’s age,
- How long you have been trying to conceive,
- Whether either of you already has a child,
- Any pre-existing medical conditions, and
- If you have had any previous treatment for infertility.
Read more about IVF success rates
- Preparation for treatment
There are several preliminary steps you need to take in preparation for fertility treatment at Melbourne IVF.
New patient appointments
If the recommended treatment is intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilisation (IVF) a member of our patient liaison administration team will contact you to arrange your new patient appointments with Melbourne IVF staff so that your treatment can proceed. Alternatively, you can call them on (03) 9473 4444.
These appointments can be undertaken at any of our Melbourne IVF clinics.
The initial appointments include meeting with:
- Nursing: your nurse will explain what to expect in your upcoming IUI/IVF/ICSI treatment cycle, including injection techniques and medications. It is best to arrange for the appointment to occur about a week before your expected period in the month that you plan to start a treatment cycle.
- Patient Liaison Administrator: they will explain the treatment costs and answer any questions you have related to these. This includes explaining the Medicare Safety Net, Medicare rebates and your estimated out-of-pocket expenses.
- Counselling: to discuss the information you have been given about your proposed treatment (required by law in Victoria).
If you have been trying to conceive for twelve months or more without success (or six months if you are over 36) we recommend a fertility assessment with a Melbourne IVF fertility specialist.
If you would like to make an appointment please call us on 1800 111 483 or complete the form below.
Meet our fertility specialists
Find out more about IVF costs