Boosting your chance of getting pregnant
Starting your journey to parenthood can be exciting, but also challenging if you find it is not happening as quickly as you were expecting. We would expect that 85% of couples will conceive within six months of trying to get pregnant.
There are three important ways to improve your chances of getting pregnant naturally:
- Calculate your fertile window and have intercourse one or two days prior to ovulation. Regular ejaculation by the male (every 2-3 days) will improve the quality and motility of the sperm in the ejaculate. This should occur in the time between menstruation and ovulation.
- Improve your health, diet and lifestyle – for both partners
- Visit your GP for pre-pregnancy health screening and advice
Pre-pregnancy health & lifestyle advice
You both need to think about your lifestyle and health before you start trying for a baby. Here are some important tips:
- Make sure you eat a healthy diet,
- Maintain a healthy weight,
- Stop smoking and using recreational drugs,
- Only drink alcohol in moderation,
- Exercise regularly.
Women should also:
- Take 0.5mg folic acid daily.
- Visit your GP for an antenatal screen to ensure optimum pre-pregnancy health. This may include blood tests, including checks for rubella (German measles) and varicella (chicken pox); your blood group, antibodies and Rh factor; hepatitis B and hepatitis C, HIV, syphilis; and a full blood count.
- Check with your GP to ensure you have had a pap smear and breast check with a normal result within the past two years.
- Review current medications and any implications for pregnancy with your GP.
- Understand your menstrual cycle.
What if you do not conceive?
If you are concerned about your fertility or have been trying to conceive for twelve months or more without success (or six months if you are over 36), we recommend a fertility assessment with a Melbourne IVF fertility specialist.
Appointments are usually available within a few weeks and will cost approximately $150 for a couple after the Medicare rebate.
If you have any further questions or would like to book an appointment to see a fertility specialist of your choice, contact us on 1800 111 483 or via email.