Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Embryo Screening
What is preimplantation genetic testing for embryo screening?
Preimplantation embryo screening, more recently referred to as PGT-A (Pre-implantation Genetic Testing- Aneuploidy), involves screening of all 24 chromosomes in a developing embryo prior to implantation in an IVF cycle.
It is an established treatment option to improve your chances of conceiving a healthy baby if you’ve experienced repeated IVF failure, recurrent miscarriage or have had a previous pregnancy with a chromosomal variation such as Down syndrome.
PGT-A is performed at the Melbourne IVF East Melbourne laboratory by one of the most scientifically advanced and highly regarded preimplantation genetics teams in the world.
- How is Embryo Screening (PGT-A) performed?
At Melbourne IVF, Embryo Screening or PGT-A, is performed using Next Generation Sequencing technology which enables all 24 chromosomes in a developing embryo to be analysed prior to implantation. This allows selection of the embryo with the greatest likelihood of pregnancy success.
This technology amplifies the DNA from the cell’s nucleus by multiplying it thousands of times before it is sequenced, and then each sequence is assigned to the chromosome it belongs to. Sophisticated software is used that count all the fragments that originate from each chromosomes for each sample. This allows the scientists to accurately detect chromosomal changes, so only an embryo with the expected chromosome profile is selected for transfer, increasing the chance of a successful pregnancy.
- Is PGT-A suitable for me?
- A previous pregnancy has been affected by a chromosomal variation (such as Down syndrome)
- You have experienced more than three consecutive miscarriages
- You have experienced repeated IVF failure (where 5 or more embryos have been transferred without pregnancy), or
- You are of advanced maternal age (over the age of 38 years).
- How much does PGT-A cost?
If you have any questions about the cost of PGT-A with Melbourne IVF please phone 1800 111 483 or complete the form below.