Covid 19 Update: Temporary changes to fertility treatment with Melbourne IVF
On 12 January 2022, the Victorian Government issued a Pandemic Order (‘Order’) that included changes to elective surgery and IVF procedures applying to the state of Victoria. The Order requires that, effective immediately, and for 90 days, all health services (including public, private, day procedure centres and IVF units) limit the nature and number of procedures they can either commence or complete.
For IVF treatment, this unfortunately means there is an immediate restriction on any new stimulation cycles that can commence, except for urgent medical fertility preservation cycles prior to cancer and other serious therapies. Intra-uterine insemination and embryo thaw cycles can continue.
We understand that this news is devastating for so many of our patients and we are doing everything we can to advocate for a prompt return to full fertility care. We will keep you posted with any updates.
Restriction: All new stimulation cycles are temporarily halted until further advice.
Services that continue to be available for our patients include:
- Current stimulation cycles
- Urgent medical fertility preservation cycles prior to cancer treatment
- Tracking cycles, andrology services, other pathology services, ovulation induction, intrauterine insemination, and embryo transfer cycles
- Urgent surgical procedures
- Access to services offered by our partner clinics interstate [Tasmania | NSW | QLD]
We are doing EVERYTHING we can to advocate for our patients such that a review of this decision may take place and allow the resumption of treatments and services for our patients.
What can you do?
- Continue to Report your Day 1 as you normally would. Our team will be able to review and update you on the latest advice including when you can commence
- If your treatment is deferred, please make a time to speak with your fertility specialist to explore other options or discuss your treatment plan
- Use this time to optimise general and reproductive health and fitness. Find out our latest resources here - Before Baby Guide
- Keep reviewing our website, our Instagram & Facebook page for updates
- Join petitions to let the government know how important fertility treatment is for our patients (Click Here)
- Know that our counsellors and supportive team is here for you (03 94734444)
We are so sorry that Victoria is faced with this medical restriction. We hope that this will be revised very soon, and we are doing everything we can to keep our patient care pathways going.