Independent advocacy for our patients
Any research activity involving a clinical trial must be approved by our independent Health Research Ethics Committee (HREC). All institutions that conduct or support biomedical research involving people must, by Federal Government regulation, have an HREC that initially approves and then periodically reviews the research. This body acts as an advocate for the interests of our patients.
The ethical and legal codes that govern medical practice also apply to clinical trials and research. Federal regulations also have built-in safeguards to protect participants.
Melbourne IVF has a registered independent HREC, which reviews, approves and monitors our research activities. The HREC oversees compliance and promotes the highest standards of academic integrity and ethical practice in research.
The members of our committee are:
- Dr Raphael Kuhn (chairperson)
- Professor James King (person with research experience)
- Dr Peter Churven (person with research experience)
- Naomi Hodgson (lawyer)
- Rabbi Dovid Gutnik (minister of religion)
- Ms Kay Oke (person with knowledge of, and current experience in, the care, counselling or treatment of people)
- Mr Seamus Bradley (layperson)
- Ms Juliet Robinson (layperson)